Grade 2 Word Study
ACS uses Words Their Way as a primary resource for word study: phonics, vocabulary, and spelling instruction. Words Their Way provides teachers with the tools for teaching children through the stages of spelling development. Children learn to see patterns and variations in words and are taught in a fun and engaging way.
Based on years of research into invented and developmental spelling, the classroom-proven framework of this successful series is keyed to the five stages of spelling and orthographic development. Each stage-specific companion volume features a complete curriculum of reproducible sorts and detailed directions for teachers working with students in each stage of spelling development, from emergent through derivational relations.
Grade 2 Word Study Skills
- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- Know spelling-sound correspondences for additional common vowel teams.
- Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
- Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- Identify words with inconsistent but common spelling-sound correspondences.
- Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
- Read grade-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.
- Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.