Grade 4 Math
ACS delivers a standards-based program in mathematics, guided by the Common Core standards. In the elementary school, Everyday Math is used as a primary resource for mathematics instruction.
Consistent with many high performing international private schools and public schools in the United States, ACS has adopted the Common Core Standards as the baseline learning objectives for K-10 instruction in Math and in English Language Arts.
What Parents Need to Know
4th Grade Family Letters -- EM4 (Everyday Math Edition 4)
Family Letters keep parents up-to-date on what their child is learning in class. They contain background information, vocabulary, games, and more for each unit. Click here to access the family letters for Grade 4 EM4 Units 1-8.
Grade 4 Learning Outcomes
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
- Gain familiarity with factors and multiples.
- Generate and analyze patterns.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
Number and Operations—Fractions
- Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering.
- Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
- Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
Measurement and Data
- Solve problems involving measurement and conversion of measurements from a larger unit to a smaller unit.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of angle and measure angles.
- Draw and identify lines and angles, and classify shapes by properties of their lines and angles.