Grade 5 Math
ACS delivers a standards-based program in mathematics, guided by the Common Core standards. In the elementary school, Everyday Math is used as a primary resource for mathematics instruction.
Consistent with many high performing international private schools and public schools in the United States, ACS has adopted the Common Core Standards as the baseline learning objectives for K-10 instruction in Math and in English Language Arts.
What Parents Need to Know
5th Grade Family Letters -- EM4 (Everyday Math Edition 4)
Family Letters keep parents up-to-date on what their child is learning in class. They contain background information, vocabulary, games, and more for each unit. Click here to access the family letters for Grade 5 EM4 Units 1-8.
Grade 5 Learning Outcomes
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Write and interpret numerical expressions.
- Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations—Fractions
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
Measurement and Data
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
- Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- Classify two-dimensional figures into categories based on their properties.