Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
To prepare students for the type of thinking and learning they will need to be scientifically literate individuals in the 21st Century, ACS has adopted the Next Generation Science Standards to guide learning in KG-Grade 10.
According to the National Science Teaching Association, here's what the NGSS approach is all about:
So, what topics will my child be learning about in each grade? Click on the chart below to find out.
But wait! NGSS is a "3 dimensional approach" to science learning. What does that mean?
In addition to learning about the "Disciplinary Core Ideas" (ie Life Science, Earth and Space Science, Physical Science, and Engineering -- See the table above), the NGSS approach also helps students to understand the key Practices involved in scientific learning, and the Cross-Cutting Concepts that are found throughout scientific exploration and understanding.
- Asking Questions (Science) and Defining Problems (Engineering)
- Developing and Using Models
- Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- Using Mathematical and Computational Thinking
- Constructing Explanations (Science) and Designing Solutions (Engineering)
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence
- Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
- Cause and Effect
- Scale, Proportion, and Quantity
- Systems and System Models
- Energy and Matter
- Structure and Function
- Stability and Change